General Lottery Info
How does the lottery work?
Submitting a lottery application does not guarantee your child’s enrollment in the school. Rather, it’s the first step in the process. If your child is offered a seat, you will be notified via your SchoolMint profile about the process to accept or decline your offer. If you accept your offer, you will be asked to complete an enrollment packet for your child’s school. Please note that timely submission of all paperwork will be required if your child is selected for enrollment.
- Per our CWC Mar Vista charter, the following preferences shall be given in the lottery:
- Students residing within the boundaries of the Los Angeles Unified School District.
- Siblings of students currently enrolled at CWC MV. Siblings are defined as any two students who share a legal parent / guardian.
- Children of the Founding Parents of CWC Mar Vista (not to exceed 10% of total enrollment).
- Students who qualify for free or reduced price lunch (for more information, visit https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/rs/scales1819.asp).
- Children of a current CWC Mar Vista staff member
- Children of a current member of the CWC Los Angeles Board of Directors
- Students who are currently enrolled at Richland Avenue Elementary School
- Students residing in the attendance area of Richland Avenue Elementary School
Within two weeks of the lottery, families will be contacted via email or letter in the mail with lottery results, including waitlist number (if applicable). Families must respond and accept or turn down the space offered. Any spaces that become available will be offered to the next family on the waiting list until the class is full.
Please note that if you are extended an offer for enrollment through one of the preferences above, you will need to provide supporting documentation in the enrollment packet to accept the enrollment offer. A verification of this will be done prior to finalizing your child’s enrollment. If your child was offered enrollment via an exemption or weighted preference and CWC MV deems that the child does not qualify, your child will be placed on the waiting list.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
What is the minimum age for admittance to kindergarten in California?
In accordance with California Education code, a child needs to be 5 years old on or before September 1st for entry into Kindergarten.
Citizens of the World Charter Schools Los Angeles provides transitional kindergarten to children turning 5 years old between September 2nd and December 2nd only. Our developmental and highly differentiated model ensures children are continually progressing.
Anyone who would like to be considered outside of this date range should reach out to the school to secure written approval, which will include consideration and/or approval by the Board of Directors.
Applying for other Citizens of the World schools:
Each school within the Citizens of the World Los Angeles network coordinates it’s own enrollment efforts. To apply to other Citizens of the World Charter school locations, families will be required to select the other Citizens of the World campuses in the ApplyLA application portal.