Now, more than ever…
Our school is helping our children become true Citizens of the World. And, our CWC mission rings true – to provide a socioeconomically, culturally, and racially diverse community of students with an intellectually challenging, experiential learning environment that develops each student’s confidence, potential, and individual responsibility.
Why is community giving important? Isn’t public school free?
- Every school – whether public or private – relies heavily on funds contributed by the parent community to enhance the quality of education for children.
- As a charter school, we are faced with a particularly challenging funding gap to meet our school’s basic needs. The amount of government funding provided to charter schools is significantly less than the amount per student that standard public schools receive – and dramatically less than what is needed to finance the quality of education mandated in our mission.
- In fact, CWCMV needs to subsidize each student’s education by approximately $2,000. This funding comes almost exclusively from parent and family contributions.
- As our school grows, we face a number of new opportunities and, accordingly, expenses. A larger community and wider spread of grades (with our newly launched Middle School) requires new systems, more staff, and more curriculum — and, of course, more funding.
WHAT IS ASKED OF PARENTS?
- To offset the gap, we ask each family to participate in three giving events during the year to ensure that we can meet our goals.
- Many schools ask for money in small increments multiple times during the school year, which can be overwhelming and confusing for parents. We will not be selling candy or magazine subscriptions. And with the exception of specific materials that teachers may ask parents to contribute occasionally in the classroom, we make every effort to streamline our community giving activities and to make them meaningful, community-building experiences.
WHAT ARE THE THREE COMMUNITY GIVING EVENTS AND THE EXPECTATIONS?
I. THE ANNUAL FAMILY GIVE CAMPAIGN:
Every single dollar matters
Consider what you spend on coffee or other simple expenses in the course of a month and whether you value your child’s school experience as much as those things. A few dollars a month extra will make a significant impact for CWCMV.
Where do my dollars go?
Funds raised from our parent community provide our children with core programming that reflects our mission: Academic excellence, diversity, the “whole child” philosophy, social-emotional learning, project-based learning, small student/teacher ratios (Teaching Assistants), and small class sizes. Funds from the Annual Give also provide additional classes like music, art, PE, Spanish, and other activities and programming to enrich the children’s daily experiences. Funds received from the state do not begin to cover these components. We rely on you to make them possible.
Why should I give now?
- Because now, more than ever, we are being called to action, to champion the values that CWC holds dear.
- Because our children’s education is one of our most important priorities as parents.
- Because our children will be able to make a handprint on our CWC Giving Tree in the first days or weeks of school, taking pride that their families are committed to their community.
- Because helping us reach 100% will unlock a valuable incentive matching grant for CWC.
- Because you will help motivate other parents to follow your lead.
- And because you will be entered to win fabulous prizes from our weekly Annual Give raffle!
What are my payment options?
- Give online HERE
- Bring a check (made out to CWC Mar Vista) or cash to the school office. Email email@example.com to confirm that your check or cash has been received and recorded.
- Make a transfer of stock. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
II. The WALK-A-THON:
After the new year, the students plan an on-campus Walk-A-Thon where they become personally involved in supporting the school by seeking sponsorships from extended family, friends, and their community. Parents are welcome to sponsor their children, but it is not expected.
III. SPRING AUCTION & CELEBRATION:
In the spring, the Party is a parents’ night out to celebrate the close of the school year and enjoy food, drinks, music, and community. There is also a not-to-be-missed silent auction. We go out into the community to ask businesses to donate items, gift cards, services and more to be auctioned off and raise funds to support the school.
*More information about these events will be provided in the months to come.
Which Community Giving Event Is the Top Priority?
- Your Annual Family Give commitment is the most critical for the financial well-being of the school. If you must choose where to put your funds and your energies, this is the place and now is the time to give.
Who can help me with my gift?
- We’re here to help make your giving easy and meaningful. For questions, concerns, or assistance with payment options, please email email@example.com.
How else can I help with community giving?
- Would your family (grandparents, aunts,uncles, other relatives) or friends like to join you in supporting CWC?
- Does your employer have a matching gift program? Ask if they will match your tax-deductible gift to CWC!
- Volunteers are needed all year long to help with the three giving events. In addition, this year, we are looking for Community Giving Ambassadors! No experience required.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about any of these opportunities.
We hope to count you among the first families to step forward with their Annual Family Give commitments, as we begin the new school year from a place of financial strength.
On behalf of your children, THANK YOU for your support and generosity.
The CWCMV Community Giving Team