The mission of Citizens of the World Charter School –Mar Vista (CWCMV) is to provide a socio-economically, culturally and racially diverse community of students in the heart of Mar Vista with an intellectually challenging, experiential learning environment that develops each individual student's confidence, potential, and individual responsibility as citizens of the world in which we live. Having opened in September 2013, we are about to begin our second year of operation with 264 students in grades K- 3. We will continue to add grades in the coming years until we ultimately serve 660 students in K-8.
We are seeking enthusiastic, skilled and creative Teaching Assistants (TAs) to be a part of a team of educators who will be working together to help us continuing building a dynamic school in our second year of development. TA's will be an important part of our professional learning community, supporting the school in its ability to pursue and achieve its mission and educational priorities. TA's will be assigned to a Kindergarten -3rd grade classroom, where they will collaborate with a CWCMV Lead Teacher to implement our educational program.
For this position, we are looking for educators who possess a love of young children, a commitment to a progressive and interdisciplinary approach to education and the desire to work within a highly collaborative staff. The TA's will provide support and assistance to the Lead Teachers, helping to provide warm and nurturing classroom environments that help children grow intellectually, physically, emotionally and socially. Duties and outcomes for this position include:
Instruction & Instructional Assistance
- Provide whole and small group instruction in the core academic subjects
- Run small groups to assist students in learning key educational content
- Individualize instruction as needed for students
Curriculum Planning and Implementation
- Participate with the Lead Teaching Team to design and implement engaging curriculum in the core academic subjects.
- Participate in the professional learning community and school-wide professional development to refine our school-wide curriculum
- Helping to maintain positive and proactive communication with all of our students' families
Classroom/School Operations and Student Safety
- Implement classroom administrative and organizational tasks
- Supervise recess and lunchtime safety, operations, and activities
- Plan and implement spirited weekly All School Meetings
- Participate as an active member of the staff to provide stewardship of the school and adherence to its mission and guiding principles
*Other Duties As Assigned By the Principal and Lead Teachers
Qualifications and Ideal Credentials
CWCMV seeks candidates with the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor's Degree
- Multiple Subject Teaching Credential, enrollment in a teacher credential program or working towards obtaining one in the near future
- Successful completion of CBEST exam
- Experience working with K-3rd grade students/youth
- Ability to effectively supervise both small and large groups of children
- Demonstrated skills related to helping young students with conflict resolution skill-building and empowering children to be peacemakers and agents for positive social change
- An exhibited ability to work with children in a caring and respectful manner, adhering to a more "positive discipline" approach of interaction
- Passion for and commitment to progressive education and educational equity.
*Additional plus would be experience working with diverse populations, including:
- English learners, special education and GATE
- Experience assisting in the organization and management of student-centered elementary classrooms
- Some experience conducting basic student assessments
- Fluency in a second language preferred - Spanish in particular
- Eagerness to work with and be mentored by a Lead Teacher
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills as well as a desire to collaborate with various different stakeholders to help develop a whole-school community in its early years;
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and can-do attitude.
CWCMV offers a competitive hourly rate for this position of $14.00/hour for a total of 29 hours per week. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and, as a school serving a population that will be comprised of a remarkably diverse group of students, we intend to reflect this diversity in our staff as well.
Interested applicants should submit an application online or email a resume and cover letter.
APPLY BY EMAIL
If emailing, in your letter please include:
- A description of your experience/accomplishment working with youth
- Why you are interested in working at CWCMV
- Your short, medium, and long-term professional plans/aspirations
Send materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Teaching Assistant Application" in the email subject line. No phone calls please.